Medical Physics is a branch of applied science that applies knowledge, laws and physical phenomena as well as technical and technological solutions to biology and medicine with the aim of social health care. The field of Medical Physics focuses on solving problems related to the application of Ionizing Radiation in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases, especially cancer. Graduates of Medical Physics will have the opportunity to become part of a medical team, working in Hospital environments and related facilities in the Health and health sciences sector.
Medical Physics has been officially recognized by the International Standard Classification of Occupations (ISCO) in the list of occupations since 2011. Medical Physics Engineers, commonly known as Medical Physics Engineers ( Medical Physicist) works in various areas of healthcare management, service delivery, as well as conducting research and development in healthcare; contribute to maintaining and improving the quality, safety and effectiveness of health care services through patient-oriented activities where action and expert consultation are required. Thus, Medical Physics is the bridge between Physics and Medicine, between doctors and technology; Medical physics engineers play an important role in 3 main areas such as:
- Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology
- Check and ensure quality (QA/QC) of diagnostic imaging equipment such as X-ray, CT, IMR, ultrasound. Ensure radiation safety for patients and medical staff, control radiation dose for patients, pregnant women, fetal dose and for interventional, CT and other imaging techniques.
- Radiation Oncology
- Collaborate with doctors, develop treatment plans for cancer patients. Testing, quality assurance (QA/QC) for accelerators and radiotherapy devices, establishing standard radiation beam characteristics radiation for cancer treatment. Ensure the accuracy and safety of the treatment process
- Nuclear Medicine
- Check image quality. Inspect and ensure quality (QA/QC) of nuclear medicine diagnostic imaging equipment such as PET, SPECT, PET/CT, SPECT/CT, using radiopharmaceuticals. Dose titration, patient dose assessment.
SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES AND SUPPORT
Scholarship and Financial Support
In addition to scholarships and financial support from Hanoi University of Science and Technology, students majoring in engineering physics have the opportunity to receive:
- 100 million VND scholarships for students with difficult circumstances, students with excellent achievements in study and scientific research.
- Students are supported and facilitated to be able to apply for scholarships from international scholarship funds and the opportunity to exchange and practice abroad.
In addition, students with good teaching and research skills can join as teaching assistants (Teaching Assistant – TA, supporting teaching teachers), or research assistants (Research Assistant – RA, assisting and doing research with teachers at the laboratory system of the School), accompanied by an official certificate of the Institute so that later students have favorable conditions to apply for scholarships to study abroad. Currently, SEP is the School implementing these programs in the University.
Integrated bachelor – master program: students have the opportunity to receive tuition waiver scholarships of the University, scholarships to support postgraduate training of domestic and foreign corporations and corporations.
Student exchange scholarships and internship opportunities
Students have the opportunity to participate in study exchange, research or transfer programs at prestigious partner schools in advanced countries such as Germany, France, USA, Singapore, Japan, Korea, etc. ..
In addition, during the course, students of the School have the opportunity to practice and experience the real working environment at the School’s partner enterprises.
- Strong math and science fundamentals to adapt well to technology-engineering jobs, emphasizing the ability to apply basic and core knowledge of Medical Physics, using modern tools to collect and analyze data, participate in the design and evaluation of technical solutions, and operate high-tech and technical application equipment systems.
- Knowledge of medical physics fundamentals and specialties such as radiation medical physics, radiation biology, radiometric recording, dosimetry, radiation safety, diagnostic imaging, radiation therapy, nuclear medicine…
- Have professional skills necessary, be able to self-study and improve qualifications for career success;
- Have the necessary social skills, soft skills to work effectively in a team and in an international environment;
- Capable of participating in design, ability to form ideas to design, build, provide technical solutions in operation and research.
- Foreign Language:
- Use English effectively in communication and work, achieving TOEIC score of 500 or higher.
Details of the knowledge block here: Khung CTĐT
Typical Job Positions:
- Working in hospitals, medical centers, departments of Radiation Oncology, Diagnostic Imaging, Nuclear Medicine, X-ray;
- Enterprises, consulting – service – technology transfer companies related to X-ray techniques, radiotherapy techniques, nuclear medicine;
- Specialists involved in maintenance, maintenance and repair of components and machines to ensure stable operation;
- Officials, lecturers, scientists at domestic and foreign research institutes and universities in the field of Medical Physics
- Research staff, managers at agencies and organizations related to medical physics and the field of health sciences
Commit 100% of students to have a job after 1 year of graduation with a salary of 8-10 million VND/month.